Okataina Outdoor Education Camp is a 91-bed facility on Lake Okataina Road. 29 (Rotorua) Squadron is usually hosted there by 35 (Whakatane) Squadron for their annual “Hell & Back” camp. This page is primarily for parents and caregivers to know where to go and what to expect.
How to get there
Approximate driving times:
- 30 minutes from Rotorua CBD
- 70 minutes from Tauranga CBD
- 60 minutes from Whakatane CBD
Drive to State Highway 30 and make your way to the Lake Okataina turnoff.
- From the West / Rotorua / Tauranga end it is now 11.4 km (9 min) to the turnoff.
- From the East / Whakatane end it is about 12 km (10 min) after you pass through Rotoma township.
Once you have turned onto Lake Okataina Road, the turnoff to the Camp is 3.8 km (5 minutes) along a narrow and windy road.
Click here to start Google Maps and navigate from your location.
The turnoff into the camp normally isn’t well sign-posted but during Camps it is usually made obvious.
Turn right into the camp onto a gravel road. 300 m later you have arrived.
Cellphone coverage at the camp is extremely patchy. If you phone a mobile number of anyone you know is at camp, you should not expect to get through.
In genuine emergencies please phone the Centre Caretaker on (07) 362 7092.